Friday, March 29, 2013

Things I Love

This is the final blog post!! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to check out my photographs! It really has been an incredibly fun and rewarding experience for me. When I first started this project, I really did know very little about photography. Now, just about a month later, I am really proud to say that I really have become rather close to my beloved partner. Together, we've captured some pretty incredible moments.
This week, I was able to adjust all the settings for every photo that I took on the "Tv" mode on my camera. This meant shutter speed, ISO, brightness, flash exposure, and picture style could all be changed. I know I've already talked about shutter speed, so let me just quickly address ISO. Based on some research from here, ISO measures how sensitive the camera is to light. The lower the ISO, the less sensitive the camera will be to light. With lower light, you generally want to use a higher ISO (my camera goes up to 6400) if you are not planning on using flash. Under clear blue skies with good lighting, a lower ISO can be used. Kind of along the same line is flash exposure, explained here. Flash exposure basically adjusts the subject's brightness. Exposure compensation adjusts the darkness of the overall picture. And finally, with the picture style option you can choose the picture to be styled like a landscape, portrait, macro...etc. shot.
My final theme is "Things I Love". With this theme I really wanted to just reveal five things that I really enjoy or hold significent meaning to me. This was inspired by the "Ten Things I Love" challenge, this website I stumbled upon while trying to find inspiration for my theme. Of course, there are so many things I love, like coffee icecream, spring, and that moment when you think of something really funny and start laughing but no one else gets it so they think you're crazy (among many other things). But here are just five.  
 
 
1. My familyKind of a no-brainer, but I'm blessed to have such a supportive family. My mom, in particular, has been very interested in this photography project and provides good suggestions sometimes.My sister loves critiquing my photos and telling me which ones suck. And my dad has been very accomadating in providing transportation when I think of a place to shoot. I love them so much and they are awesome.
 
 2. My culture. Being a second-generation Chinese-American, I have had the privilage of being a part of two very distinct cultures. I have the privilage of eating a Philly Cheese Steak for lunch and Mantou for dinner. Of getting presents on Christmas (and my birthday) and money on Chinese New Year. Of being able to watch "Shark Tank" and a random chinese drama. The photo below shows a jade necklace and a silk scarf.
 3. The ocean. My family goes to the shore every year and among my fondest memories are crabbing on the pier at sunset and  running on along the shoreline with no one else around. I love the feeling of walking on the cool sand and the cool breeze when the sun sets. I remember the first time I ever went down to the shore, I was terrified of the sound of the waves and I sat down and started crying and wouldn't stop. But now, I love that too.
4. Music. Okay, I admit this one didn't turn out the way I wanted to. You may be asking, "what's up with the apple?" Actually, if you look close enough the earbuds are actually connected to the apple, to symbolize an ipod. Get it? Apple? Like, the company? Yeah, thinking back I don't remember why I didn't just use my actual ipod :/  
 
 
 5. Travel. Being able to explore and journey to different places is something that I've always loved to do. I really enjoy experiencing different cultures (in particular their food) and something on my bucket list is to see all seven wonders of the world. I had all the settings adjusted, but photo credits go to my dad. It looks so much better in black and white than it did in color....
 
I'm so glad I choose photography because I have no doubt in my mind that it will become a wonderful hobby even after this project. I set out on this project with the goal of finding inspiration from just everyday objects and everday places. I wanted just ONE good picture that I could be proud of. But now I have 25. I hope that you have found at least one that you enjoy as well. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I love your photos so much! I especially like the second one. Did you edit the colors, or was that just how the light made the scarf and necklace appear?

    I like how you also use yourself as the subject of your photos. In the last one, before I read the description, I was worried as to how that photo would really count -- if you were in it, how would you have taken it? But you mentioned that you adjusted all of the settings yourself, and that's really the difficult part.

    I'm excited to see your final product! I'm interested to see which of your photos you like the best (since I've certainly formed opinions of my own). And if you are still doing that (because you did say this was your final post), you should definitely post it on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn I really enjoyed these photos over the past few weeks! They have gotten better and better each time I look at your blog! I'm really excited to see your TED talk and hear even more about your experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carolyn! It is so awesome that you have developed something that you can use as a hobby even after the project is done. Your pictures look so good and I really like how you incorporate your own passions and ways of life into your pictures here. It truly seems that you completed your goal by having 25 pictures that you are proud of! It seems that you have lots of potential to become an even greater photographer than you are, so keep up the good work! Good Luck in the future of photography.
    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are absolutely stunning! Every week, I come back to your blog for two reasons, one: because I am doing the same project as you and two: I love seeing the wonderful pictures you take. From reading your blog and seeing your pictures I can already tell you have improved so much. I have a newfound respect for photographers because of the time it takes to adjust all the settings to get a quality photo. I took so many pictures, and I'm sure you did too, and I got not as many good ones as I was expecting! Good luck on your TED talk!

    ReplyDelete